Wednesday 8 May 2013

Upcycled Jigsaw Puzzle Pieces - How to make photo keyrings



I buy lots of vintage jigsaw puzzles from car boots and charity shops, but sometimes I buy a dud and there are pieces missing.  So, what to do with odd bits of puzzles?  I'm sure you all have them - random little bits lying around missing the rest of the picture, or maybe like me an almost complete puzzle, rendered useless by one or two missing bits.

Red Ted Art challenged some bloggers on her latest craft hangout to come up with some repurposed makes, and I have to say, they are inspired. Scroll down to the video and links below to see them all.

I've made some interconnecting photo keyrings.  Pick the right image and you've got yourself a great Fathers Day; Mother's Day; Grandparent's Christmas; Anniversary etc etc handmade gift.  Imagine doing these over a complete puzzle with a large group photo - wouldn't that be lovely for an end of term gift for school friends using a class photo.  Or use a snap from a birthday gathering as a 'thank you for coming to my party' keepsake.  When the photo subjects get together, maybe in years to come, they can join up their puzzle to make a whole again.

For this craft you will need:

Interconnecting wooden puzzle pieces
Printout of a photo cropped and scaled to size
Mod Podge or watered down PVA
Keyring finding


Select your photo and scale it to size.  I just used my home printer and bog-standard copier paper and it turned out just fine.  The original puzzle image was already peeling from my old pieces, so with the aid of a steam kettle, I removed it completely.  But if yours are intact, just glue your photo over the top.  Position your puzzle pieces over the section of the image you want to use.  Trace the outline of the shape onto the photo.


Carefully cut out the separate photo pieces (tip: cut inside the lines, but don't worry too much as you can always trim off any excess with a craft knife later).


Glue your image in place on the wooden pieces, carefully sliding into position.  Then varnish over with Mod Podge (or use a PVA and water solution).  Varnish several times for durability allowing to dry between coats.


Once totally dry, trim off any excess paper from the edges with a craft knife.  Use strong glue such as epoxy resin to glue on a jewellery bail to the back of the wooden piece and add a keyring chain.  Alternatively, you could drill a hole and add the keyring with a jump ring.


The keyrings are completed - one for Daddy of his daughter for Father's Day, and one for Ruby of her Daddy for her book bag.


Take a look at the hangout video for more great ideas on how to repurpose jigsaw puzzles.

           

Red Ted Art's puzzle snowflake decorations, coasters and fridge magnets
Kid's Chaos printable greetings cards
Zing Zing Tree's aliens and fab resin creations
Crystal's Tiny Treasures brooches
Domestic Goddesque's stick puppets

Last ditch plea... The Blogging in Brilliance Awards close for voting on 10th May.  If you enjoy my crafty capers I'd really appreciate your vote for Me and My Shadow in the Craft category.  You can submit your vote here. Thank you x

19 comments:

  1. Love these, makes me think I should take more photos of my boys WITH their daddy! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes, I struggled to find a suitable photo. There are practically none with their heads together! x

      Delete
  2. Perfect fathers day gifts and your are blooming amazing #thatsall

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing. This is brilliant (adds to 'to do' list)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High praise indeed coming from you Anthea. Thank you x

      Delete
  4. I LOVE this. what a lovely Fathers Day Idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely LOVE this idea. I might even get to try it out once I have more time once the new work phase kicks in. Won't be before Father's Day though - maybe I'll just have to make one for myself...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful beat ! I wish to apprentice whilst
    you amend your web site, how could i subscribe for a blog
    site? The account helped me a acceptable deal. I were a little bit familiar of this your broadcast offered vibrant clear concept

    My blog post Cheap Oakley Sunglasses

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea - great way to upcycle and makes a great gift too

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jigsaw Puzzle games may be good hobbies and keep you occupied but not much exercise for the brain. You need things to do with your eyes closed. Simple things like: Learn the ABC's backwards. Practice until you can say them as fast backwards as you can forward. You remember favorite songs by repetition, right?
    Recite the 50 states in alphabetical order. Say their Capitals as you go along. When you're through with that go for countries and their caps.
    Sounds silly? Maybe, but guaranteed to make you think.
    Another favorite of mine are math problems. Try multiplying in your head then check the answers with pen & paper.
    Do you play Bridge, Whist, double deck Pinochle, Spades, Hearts? Card games will keep you sharp if you really want to be good at them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post. Your site is quite interesting and very well written. I am waiting for your next post...
    Branded Power Banks
    Engraved Photo Keyrings

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanku so much for sharing this with us. I was searching for this since a week and after long search I found it on your blog. Thanks man. keyrings

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice posting. Thank you for sharing this post such a useful information.
    Clear Frame Glasses
    Punk Goggles

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can anyone please tell me where I can find the jewellery bail they are using in the video thanks so much in advance ��

    ReplyDelete
  13. The tips given are helpful and an amazing blog. You can also read our blog : custom key rings

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was wanting to use an exciting small puzzle piece and make a keychain (a friend died while in the middle of a puzzle, I was going to finish it and make a keychain out of the last piece. Can I pour a resin square with it in it? Any feedback would help a bunch. I can’t find anything on it and have never worked with resin. Thx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jigsaw puzzles are a wonderful topic to talk about here because they're a nice method to preserve your favorite memories. I advise using customised jigsaw puzzle Singapore for the best outcomes if you want to give a personalised puzzle print as a gift.

    ReplyDelete